Learn how art and technology work side by side.
The DFR team has decades of experience working with artists to translate ideas into 2D, 3D and 4D artworks and installations. DFR's expertise in laser cutting, CNC routing, 3D printing, 3D scanning, digital embroidery, automated long arm sewing, digital textile printing, 3D prints to bronze casting and countless other processes from high-tech to traditional methods, set a foundation for creative ideas to flourish into unique artworks. We work with DFR residents to explore innovative approaches in the digital craft of making.
WHY IS DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY POWERFUL FOR ARTISTS?
- Learn how to use the software to visualize a project idea for a grant, private commission, installation or public art proposals. Learn to render images of your proposed project in the location being proposed.
- Work through ideas and variations in less time. Some call it fail fast, we call it learning. Every project needs to be begin with testing out ideas. Building a maquette using the laser machine before you move to a larger scale or costly material.
- CNC processes like CNC routing and laser cutting provide a level of precision and engineering that can let the artist focus on the post production finishing. More control over professional presentation and craftsmanship in all aspects of the project.
- Explore how digital embroidery and automated long arm sewing can be become your painting and drawing machines. From stitching on textiles to paper, felt and other materials, explore a new language of mark making.
- Maximize the technology for efficient use of materials, weight estimates and other practical aspects of making. Create 3D printed prototypes for sculptures or elements of a object.
- Working with a scalable platform. A digital file can be engineered to any size or scale.
- Custom hardware, brackets or structural solutions modeled to fit the needs of the material and form.
- 3D scan a pre-existing sculpture or environment and create a 3D object from the scan data.
- Play. Yes, play in the software! Discover new forms in your work. Explore materials and processes from the traditional to the unexpected.
- Build a foundation of knowledge of how digital fabrication technology is aiding artists to experiment and create in new ways. Learn about traditional and technological advancements in studio based practices with fabrication specialists.